LegalWatch Updates

Home / News

You need a Power of Attorney to make decisions on behalf of your loved ones even if you are the husband/wife or child.

An ordinary power of attorney is a deed giving the person you appoint the power to do anything legally or financially that you can do.

An Enduring power of attorney This power of attorney stays in effect if you lose your mental capacity after you have appointed someone, so you must trust the person you appoint to act in your best interests.

Both the person granting the power and the person nominated as enduring attorney must sign and accept the conditions outlined in the document – your enduring power of attorney does not become operational until the appropriate documents are signed before a prescribed witness (e.g. solicitor, barrister, or registrar of the local court).

Don’t wait until you need one

To make a power of attorney you must be of sound mind. However, if you haven’t appointed an enduring power of attorney and you are diagnosed with dementia, you are advised to appoint one as soon as possible.